Made this last night for a delicious dinner. Filling, full of flavor and plenty of yummy left overs. Although I am lactose intolerant, the cooking down of the cream is fine with my tummy at the time. Then morning comes and I regret it. Other options is to make a vegan cream. I’ll write about that another time.
- 1 box of Penne Rigate pasta
- 1 lb Johnsonville Italian sausage Mild (Or hot if you like heat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Boil water with 1 tps of salt and 2 tbs of oil (virgin or vegetable if fine)
- Add Penne Rigate pasta to boiling water, cook until desired texture. Drain then set aside.
- Un-case the sausage and in a large skillet, cook sausage in oil and butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper and onion; cook and stir until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, mix well
- Add broth then cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and Parmesan cheese, mix well
- Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage mixture and cooked pasta.
- Before serving, sprinkle with parsley.