I grew up on homemade Mac’n’Cheese from my great grandmother’s to my mom. Its a definitely a staple on holiday dinners, mainly Thanksgiving and Christmas. Over the years I watched the women in my family make it and famous chefs from Emeril to Paula Deen. I decided to make my own version. The Mac’n’Cheese that was born has become my Loves guilty pleasure.
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. of Velveeta cheese (block or shredded is fine)
- 1 lb. of elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of milk – I use almond milk or 2% (depends on whats in the fridge)
- 1 tbs. of butter of your choice – I use real salted butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbs of Tapatio hot sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees
- Cook macaroni and drain. In a large bowl add – Cooked macaroni, milk, 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 8 oz. of Velveeta cheese (if its not shredded then cut into pieces from the block), hot Tapatio and season to taste with Salt and Pepper. Mix with large spoon really well.
- Coat the Pyrex pan 9×12 with butter. All the side and especially the corners. Put in the coated pan in the oven to warm up (10 min). Add the mixture to the pan. Even out through out the pan.
- Bake for 45 min. I don’t like hard edged noodles so I take out the mixture every 15 min to mix really well to spread the cheese. Then on the last 15 min I add the last cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the top as a finishing.